Ocean Champions23 PDF of the Powerpoint
Our school project this year is focused on Our Ocean, biodiversity and keeping our ocean free from sea pollution.
Ms. McLoughlin’s first class, Ms. Coade’s hearing impaired class, Ms. Kavanagh’s second class and Ms. Glynn’s second class are all involved in this year’s project.
Many other classes also took part in many aspects of this project.
Our school applied and has become a European Blue School 2023.
Our school has submitted an application for a Platinum Curious Minds Science Award 2023.
Our school has submitted an application for an Ocean Champions Award 2023.
We are twinning with Genevieve’s class in Brittany in France. They are involved in the same project in their country. Our French friends are at school at École Notre Dame de la Charité in Saint Pol de Leon near Roscoff in Brittany.
- Zoom chat with our French friends December 2022
- Christmas cards for our friends December 2022
- Exchanging packages January 2023
- Playing the marine biodiversity board game May 2023
- Bienvenu to Scoil Chaitríona Junior 9th May 2023
- Erasmus+ Drama, music, games, fun and artwork with our French friends 10th May 2023
- Beach safari withour Erasmus+ French friends 12th May 2023
We are working with Therese and the Teacher-Artist-Partnership (the TAP programme) to explore and share our findings about the ocean through the medium of art.
- Our visiting TAP artist November 2022
- Beach inspired artists December 2022
- Artist Thérese and the sea December 2022
- Seascapes and Coral with Thérese December 2022
- Ocean artwork January 2023
- Our Ocean Gallery January 2023
- Learning about turtles and turtle art January 2023
- Art collaboration with our senior school January 2023
- Working with artist Lara Luxardi on a stop motion sea inspired film January 2023
- Making our animated film January 2023
We have written and are producing a musical play focusing on our quest to encourage all to do our best to keep our oceans pollution free.
Here is how our drama is coming along:
- Practising for our drama “Fadhb na Mara“
- Costumes and dress rehearsals
- Our letter to the president of Ireland, President Michael D. Higgins
- Our letter to and from Minister Martin
- Marino Institute of Education looking forward to our visit
- Performing in Marino Instute of Education
- Paintings of our drama and day in Marino
- Writing about our day in Marino
- We are on the local newspaper!
- Our day at the School Drama Festival (Féile Scoildrámaíochta) in Inverin
Many many thanks to Liam Twomey of GALWAY ATLANTAQUARIA
for sponsoring the bus to Marino Institute of Education
so that we can spread our message of Saving the Oceans to all the students training to be primary school teachers.
(Hopefully they will pass on this message to all the students they teach during all the years that they are teaching.)
We have visited Galway Atlantaquaria, learned about our oceans and have displayed our algae art there.
- Science Week Trip to the Aquarium Special class (Nov 2022) and Aquarium 1st class (Nov 2022)
- Our seaweed art on display in the Atlantaquaria (Dec 2022)
We are working with Atlantic Technological University. With them we were involved in a beach clean up
- Beach Clean Up with Atlantic Technological University 1st class (Oct 2022)
and also in a workshop and art session on algae.
- Working with ATU on the Magical World of Algae 2nd classes (Nov 2022)
- Visit from Marine Scientists to teach us about the Effects of Pollution on Marine birds (Feb 2023)
- Marine workshops with Benny Joyce all classes, Junior Infants, 1st classes (Feb 2023)